Common repairs

While you are responsible for the upkeep of your own home, in some cases parts of the building are the joint responsibility of all homeowners. These are usually referred to as the shared parts of the property.

Please check your Title Deeds or our Written Statement to see what consent limits apply to your property. We always write to you and your neighbours for permission to carry out a repair if the cost is over the threshold limits for your property.

The following consent limits are indicative if you own a property that is shared with GHA or Cube Housing Association residents. Please note, we will not ask for permission in emergencies or where health and safety is an issue.

Always check your Title Deeds and the Written Statement which set out the specific consent limits for your property.

Type of propertyConsent limit
Four-in-a-block£200 (excluding VAT)
Tenements£2000 (excluding VAT)
Flats associated with shops£2000 (excluding VAT)
Multi-storey or deck access£2000 and £5000 (excluding VAT) (varies)

What happens next?

We will write to you asking for permission to go ahead with any repairs where the costs will be higher than the consent limits. If we get permission from the majority of owners, the work will go ahead. We’ll write to let you know whether we get permission to do the work. 

It may have a negative effect on your property if we don’t get permission from the majority of owners and are not able to go ahead with the repair work.

Your local authority has legal powers to take action against owners who fail to repair and maintain their home. It is essential you co-operate with us to make sure any shared repairs are carried out.

What is in your Title Deeds?

Your Title Deeds normally tell you about your responsibilities for the common property. They define the location of your property, for example top floor, left flat. They also tell you about your rights and responsibilities for your own property and your shared responsibilities for the whole building. 

They may also say who owns the shared parts and tell you about your obligations to manage and maintain them as a homeowner.

How do I get a copy of my Title Deeds?

We don’t hold copies of your deeds. However, you can get a copy from the Registers of Scotland - which will charge for the service. 

Address: Registers of Scotland, Hanover House, 24 Douglas Street, Glasgow G2 7NQ.

Telephone: 0800 169 9391


How do I report a repair?

You can book your repairs appointment with a My YP account at a time and place that suits you.

Don't have an account yet?
Sign up for My YP. It's safe and secure, and it only takes a few minutes.

Already have an account?
Login securely to My YP to book or change your appointment.

You can call us anytime, we’re here to help 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you live in Glasgow and the west, call us on 0800 479 7979. For customers in Edinburgh and the surrounding areas, please phone 0800 561 0088.

If it's an emergency, call us. Staff will give you advice and assess the urgency of the repair. If we need to send someone to your home outside normal hours, the service is more expensive and you will have to pay an emergency call-out charge.

The total cost of the repair (including the emergency call-out charge) will be divided between you and the other owners in your block. 

We aim to complete all repairs as soon as possible. Emergency repairs will be completed within 24 hours.

Other repairs will be done by appointment, and we aim to complete them within 15 days. Programmed repairs such as paths and fencing will be within 30 days.